The Changchun 长春 Film Studio is based in Changchun, the capital of Jilin province in northeast China. It was the first film production studio to be registered after the founding of the PRC and operated from 1950 to 2000. During that time at least 24 films about minorities were produced at Changchun, including four set in Tibetan areas: Dawn of the Meng River (Menghe de liming, 1954), Eagles Brave the Storm 暴风中的雄鹰 (1957), Yaya 丫丫 (1979) and Third Goddess (Disan nusheng, 1982).
In 1946, a year after the Japanese surrender at the end of World War II, the CPC was able to seize control from the Guomindang of the assets of a former pro-Japanese studio in north-east China, the Manchukuo Film Association. This was merged with the Yan’an Film Studio 延安电影制片厂 and the Northeast Film Studio 延安电影制片厂 to form what became known from 1950 onwards as the Changchun, or Long Spring, Film Studio. It became the centre for film production in the PRC. Since 2000 it has been known as the Changchun Film Group Corporation 长春电影集团公司 and is one of the largest film facilities in China.
Since 1992 the company has hosted the China Changchun Film Festival. The Festival awarded the Golden Deer Grand Jury Prize to The Silent Holy Stones 静静的嘛呢石 (2005) in 2006.